Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sew Hot

It's been hot. Finally. We had rain and cool weather leading into June and as soon as the kids got out of school for summer it seemed as though it finally was summer.

I love summer. It's my favorite season. I love the way the brightness of the sun lifts my spirits and the way the heat wraps around me like a hug. I complain about these same things as summer wears on, but they make me very happy right now.

As a skinny kid, I never would have predicted that I'd be battling weight the way I have been for the last ten-years. I blame my children, of course. If I didn't have to carry them and their cravings for doughnuts around with me, I never would have gotten this inner-tube around my waist. And upper thighs. It makes shorts feel as though in order to go outside, I need to put my worst foot forward.

On Monday, after dropping the kids off at camp, I was still wearing my jeans and I was as hot as ever. I decided that the antidote to wearing the dreaded shorts was to wear sundresses. I went to JoAnn's and bought a couple of yards each of two patterned cottons and a pattern for a dress. It's my first Burda pattern and it's supposed to be facile. Two out of four boxes checked next to easy means? What? It's sort of easy? We'll see. I'm going to make version D.

Burda 8071

I am planning on making a muslin of the bodice to make sure it can hold all of my bosoms. But I'm anxious to get this done because I want to wear it now.

While I was waiting for my fabric to come out of the dryer, I pulled out an unfinished shirt I had started about six-months ago. I put in a sleeve and it was surprisingly easy. Unfortunately, these last ten-pounds must have joined me during that time because the shirt was quite tight. It's so frustrating! I just want to magically have my old body back and make cute little clothes to wear.

In the meantime, I joined Weight Watchers to help me get there. So far so good. I'm going to be optimistic and start by sewing muumuus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and tell me what you think!